Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inner Joins and Table alias

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobp

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
DE
Hi there,

I would like to use table alias(FROM <tbl> AS) in an SQL that has an INNERJOIN on another Table. Any tips for this are most welcome.
I want to do this because, i would like to have subquery in the where clause.

e.g.-

SELECT DISTINCT TABLE1.FIELD1, TABLE1.FIELD2,TABLE1.FIELD3
FROM TABLE1 AS T1 INNER JOIN TABLE2 ON TABLE1.FIELD1 = TABLE2.FIELDX
WHERE
NOT EXISTS
(SELECT * FROM TABLE1 AS T2 WHERE T1.FIELD2 = T2.FIELD1)

I want to use the alias for TABLE1 in the first part of the query. But it complains about hte invalid syntax.

When making an alias, you don't use the keyword AS for the table. As is used for an alias on a specific field.

Select field1 as testfield from table1

When making an alias for a table you just have to eliminate the AS.

Select * from
Customer F, Customer S
where......

The rest of your query looks fine.

OK, Alias is optional, but the problem here is it doesn't work when used together with INNERJOIN

I don't see the need to use an inner join. Most Sql versions will automatically pick the correct join for you. If I understand your query correctly this should give you the results you want.

SELECT DISTINCT TABLE1.FIELD1, TABLE1.FIELD2,TABLE1.FIELD3
FROM TABLE1 T1
WHERE TABLE1.FIELD1 = TABLE2.FIELDX
AND
NOT EXISTS
(SELECT * FROM TABLE1 T2
WHERE TABLE1.FIELD2 = T2.FIELD1)

You are right. Instead of InnerJoin I could use additional WHERE conditions for the table(ANDs). Then it works.

Thankx for answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back