Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inner join issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightjb1

Programmer
Feb 12, 2008
US
I having this issue when i use an innerjoin in the cfquery tag. I am trying to join my two tables on a certain id then when all is said and done i need to spit out the ID to the page. My query is

<cfquery name="getQuestion" datasource="DATES">
SELECT question.questionID, question.quizID, quiz.quizID, quiz.quizName From question
INNER JOIN quiz ON question.quizID = quiz.quizID
WHERE quizName = '#qName#'
</cfquery>

I tested the query in access and it works fine i just cant get it to let me print the iD it keeps telling me its undefined. Anyone know why this is?

This does not appear to be inthe right forum. SQL Server and Access are two differnt programs and that is certainly not SQL Server code.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

It could be because you'll end up with two QuizID columns, and your database system might be assigning aliases to them like QuizID_a, QuizID_b.

Try assigning the aliases yourself:

Code:
SELECT question.questionID, 
question.quizID as quizID, quiz.quizID as quizID2, quiz.quizName From question
INNER JOIN quiz ON question.quizID = quiz.quizID
WHERE quizName = '#qName#'

Since you're joining on QuizID, I can't see any reason to ask for both in the result set to begin with.

--------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back