Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inner Guts of WinSock.dll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaz

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
CA

Hi Guys it's KAZ!!!!!
Suppose I want to see the inner guts of WinSock.dll
using Borland C++ ver 5.0
How would I do that.
I have opened the WinSock.dll file in C++
and got a screen showing BITMAP
MENU
DIALOG
etc.....
But no code and nothing workable.
Explain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AnyBody.

[sig][/sig]

Hi Kaz,

Well appart from some string tables and labels and so forth the dll will contain sod all readable stuff, it's machine code, generally you use the windsock as a collection of services, it contains a collection of functions and base class objects created when you call it, these interface youre program to the network sub system (i just had to see which forum i was on) now i wouldn't think that they would provide the source code for this, But as always there are other ways to find out. some of the later compiliers will disasemble object code, but you don't need to!

check out this site for network support
this explans a lot of the low level stuff. and has source code. another source of information is linux, as it includes the source code!

as an aside i like BC++5, but Builder and VB have a drop in winsock components. you just drop it in your project set the port you want and hey a network connection. ;-)

Robert [sig][/sig]

Hi Roberd!!!!
Can I get Borland Builder for free and if yes were?????
[sig][/sig]

Hi KAZ

Maybe?, i actaully got a copy (builder 4 pro) on a magazine cover disk (August PC Plus a UK Publication), i have also heard that it has been included on a cover disk with one of our local Australian magazines, not sure on your local situation but check those out.

I know imprise were offering BC 5.5 (or something)m free for down load. also another source not so free are Books often they include a copy with the "all about xyz product" so check out Amazon or fatbrain etc.

HTH
Robert. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back