Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inittab and xmtrend

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondebbs

MIS
Dec 28, 2005
US
Currently xmtrend is running from the inittab with the spawn option. I have been asked to turn it off because it is eating resources and no one is looking at the output. Below is the line from etc/inittab that seems to start it

ptxtrend:2:respawn:/usr/bin/xmtrend -/etc/perf/xmtrend.cf -d /etc/perf 2>&1 >/dev/null # Start trend

I have never modified the /etc/inittab but it looks like I can remove the xmtrend line with the following command -
rmitab "ptxtrend"
I would then follow with telinit q to force the system to reread the file.

Does this sound correct? I obviously don't want to make a mistake with the inittab file.

Thanks - Brad

It seems to be fine but it is a good idea to backup before you do any thing! I mean copy the /etc/inittab to /etc/inittab.bkp

Just to make sure that you have a fall back plan or in case you want to put the ptxtrend back, you will have only to renmae the .bkp to its original name :)

Regards,
Khalid

You can also change the line from "respawn" to "off" with the chitab command.

chitab "ptxtrend:2:eek:ff:/usr/bin/xmtrend -/etc/perf/xmtrend.cf -d /etc/perf 2>&1 >/dev/null # Start trend"

The quotes are necessary because there are spaces and metacharacters in the command to be run.

And no need to "telinit q", as chitab does that automatically.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back