Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initializing tcp/ip message 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kal65

MIS
Jun 9, 2003
US
Hi,
I have a Cisco 2600 router configured to give dynamic ip addresses to dos clients to log to citrix, most of the clients are getting ips but there are always 3 or 4 clients getting the message "initializing tcp/ip" and getting stuck there at all times, those clients eventually get ips after the lease which is set for 5 day expires, but the message moves to different clients and so on. I know this issue happens when the dos client gets an IP that is assigned statically to another machine or server, it is going to take a lot of time to collect all the static ips in the network, so I need a quick solution to tell me what those conflicting addresses are on the dos machine so I can exclude them from the pool on the router. So is there a way that I can check the client to see what that IP is, and is there a way on the router itself that can tell me?
I appreciate your response in advance.

Use these commands

show ip dhcp binding

show ip dhcp conflict

When you find the IP conflicts, the command to exclude them are...

router>en
router#conf t
router(config)#ip dhcp excluded-address x.x.x.x

You can repeat this command for "discontiguous" (for lack of a better word) IP addresses.
Or, for a block that are all sequential...

router(config)#ip dhcp excluded-address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

The "x.x.x.x" is the beginning IP address, and "y.y.y.y" is the ending IP address. With this, the router will exclude addresses in between (and including) x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y from being handed out in a DHCP lease.

Burt

Brian,
Thank you for your previous quick response.

The binding doesn't tell me about the conflict IPs, but it helps as it tells me if there is available IPs for the pool or not. When i tried the conflict command at first it didn't give me any results because I had the "no ip dhcp conflict logging" enabled, after I removed it, I got 1 IP conflict only, is this possible while I have 4 tcp/ip initializing messages?
Also do you know of a way that I can find out the Ip with on the dos clinet?

if its going to take you a really long time to find out who is all using static ips
maybe you should roll out a new subnet for your dhcp clients..
that way you could set up the pool and the excludes and have total control.

it wouldnt take you as long then to figure out who is signed up statically.

Go download Angry Ip scanner and scan your subnet and then compare that to your dhcp bindings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back