Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initializing a Table in DTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lftsk

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
US
Hello,

I have a table whose contents are deleted and the table is then re-populated once a week via DTS. I believe there is a property (or some other way) in DTS that will automatically delete the contents of the table before
re-populating other than an SQL task of "DELETE FROM tblXXX". But I can't recall it. If anybody knows a way I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW I cannot express how much everybody here has helped me!

It's not a good idea. The dts trick drops and recreates the the target object. You lose any sequence numbers, constraints, privileges etc. Probably throws a lock on the system tables that could totally screw up other queries while it's running. Not sure what it will do to replication or incremental backups. I always put a truncate table followed by the dts copy, truncate isn't a logged operation. You have to be sa, dbo or table owner to do the truncate.

Thanks. I probably won't do it if that is the case. But if I do. What is the trick? Where do I go within DTS to truncate the table?

You open the DTS package and manually change the delete statements to truncate table in the Execute SQL task. There is no option that you can set that I know about. If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back