Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initialize Variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

john33

Programmer
Sep 25, 2000
US
I'm new to ASP and am using it in linking my webpage to a backend database.

If I choose not to use a global.asa to define my session and application variables, where else could I store them.

I was playing around with doing it in my code but would prefer to keep them together.

Your help is appreciated.

John,

What I like to do is set up a template system.

1-User connects to web page on Default.asp
2-Default.asp includes (<!--#include virtual=&quot;site/includes/sitevars.asp&quot;-->) a sitevars.asp file that contains code for DB access strings, site constants, color codes, etc.
3-Default.asp includes template.html
4-The template file looks like this...
Code:
<!--***-Begin PageSetup------Self contained - Contains document headers and all style settings--------------------***-->
<!--#Include Virtual=&quot;Site/Includes/SiteTemplates/template_pagesetup.html&quot;-->
<!--***-End PageSetup---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------***-->

<!--***-Begin TitleBar------Self contained - title bar-------------------------------------------------***-->
<!--#Include Virtual=&quot;Site/Includes/SiteTemplates/template_titlebar.html&quot;-->
<!--***-End TitleBar-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------***-->

<!--***-Begin MenuBar------Self contained - Site Menu bar----------------------------------------------------------***-->
<!--#Include Virtual=&quot;Site/Includes/SiteTemplates/template_menubar.html&quot;-->
<!--***-End MenuBar-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------***-->

<!--***-Begin HeaderBar------Self contained - Site Header (title and logo)-----------------------------------------***-->
<!--#Include Virtual=&quot;Site/Includes/SiteTemplates/template_headerbar.html&quot;-->
<!--***-End HeaderBar---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------***-->

<!--***-Begin ContentBarTop------Front table tags for content area - Needs contentbarbottom for ending table tags-***-->
<!--#Include Virtual=&quot;Site/Includes/SiteTemplates/template_contentbartop.html&quot;-->
<!--***-End ContentBarTop-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------***-->

<!--***-Begin Content------Self contained - Unique content for page-----------------------------------------------***-->
<!--#Include File=&quot;content.html&quot;-->
<!--***-End Content-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------***-->

<!--***-Begin ContentBarBottom------Ending table tags for contentbartop-------------------------------------------***-->
<!--#Include Virtual=&quot;Site/Includes/SiteTemplates/template_contentbarbottom.html&quot;-->
<!--***-End ContentBarBottom--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------***-->

<!--***-Begin Footer------Self contained - property notice---------------------------------------------------***-->
<!--#Include Virtual=&quot;Site/Includes/SiteTemplates/Footer.html&quot;-->
<!--***-End Footer----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------***-->

4-Each of the individual .html files is positioned with DIV tags.

So every folder needs default.asp, template.html and content.html. A single includes folder contains all the pieces necessary to build the page. This allows for code-reuse and ease of maintenance.

If you need more detail just ask, [sig]<p>Rob<br><a href=mailto:robschultz@yahoo.com>robschultz@yahoo.com</a><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br>
"Focus on the solution to the problem,<br>
not the obstacles in the way."<br>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back