Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ininstall of MSDE fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loekje

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2001
NL
Hi,

I've searched the web to no avail thusfar. Error message:
"Product: Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine -- Installation operation failed." But all answers I've seen where about people where the installation failed, not the de-installation.

Setup:
NT4 server UK SP6a, SQL server 2000 installed. Now due to mayor problems with the OS itself we had to fiddle around with the OS files resulting amongst others in errors on MSVCRT.DLL etc.
Without the original setup media of the SQL server my guess was to install the MSDE and thisway repairing all dlls etc.
.. NOT!.
Starting the SQL engine gives the error message: " Your Microsoft SQL server is eithor corrupt or has been tampered with (unknown package ID)"
Well, I now the fool that has tampered with the SQL server ;^))

Now the uninstall of MSDE fails the same way the installation fails with many others.

Simply put: "Help!"

Awaiting great wisdom,
Loek Gijben

So do you have sql2000 or msde sql2000? They are different progs. If you tried to install the msde on top of sql2000, i have no idea what would happen. If you are not willing to reformat the machine, i would try to find the media disk for sql 2000k. i believe they have a repair option with it.

TNX for the reply,
Yes it was an install on top of sql2000. Stupid me thought it would co-exist on the same machine..

The boss had "lend out" the installation media, that's why they where unavailable (and he himself was having a vacation in Barcelona). Tomorrow both will be at the site.

I'll try an uninstall of both SQL2000 and MSDE first
and then a re-install of SQL2000.

Loek

The actually can coexist on the same machine, they just have to be in different direcotories and not completly on top of each other. I have a sql7, msde and sql2k on my dev machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back