Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inheriting permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjburkha

Programmer
Jul 30, 2004
US
Hi,

I am trying to get a grasp of permissions on SBS 2003, and I would like some help.

I have permissions set the way I would like on a folder, and this folder does not inherit from its parent. On the folders under this folder(its children) I set to inherit and propegate.

Now, all the folders under this folder have permissions exactly how I want them. My problem is, if I copy or move a folder from outside this folder "tree" it doesn't inherit the permissions I would like.

So say for example I have a general users group and a financial group, with financial having rights to a folders users don't. The financial group decides folder "Taxes" shoulden't be available to the users group anymore, and they move the folder into the resitriced "financial" folder. However, as I see it, its permissions do not change.

Questions:

1. Is there anyway to set up my system so when a folder is moved, it takes the permisions of it's parent when it is moved?

2. Should I care that a specific folder has its permissions set to "all" if it's parent folder has its permissions set to "some" meaning that all can't navigate to that folder anyway? (I think I should care)

Thanks for your time to read this,

CJB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back