Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inherited Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

grabrail

Technical User
Aug 15, 2001
GB
I have a strange problem with inherited permissons.

I have an OU in AD called IT, there are a number of users and groups within this OU. Most of the accounts/groups are inheriting permissions ok.

However 5 of the accounts are not. If I tick the box to inherit permisions they start inheriting. I come back an hour later and they are no longer inheriting and the box is unticked.

Does anybody have any ideas why this might be.

Thanks

is this in ADUandC or GPMC?

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant
HND, BSc HONS, CCNA, BCS, IETF, DMTF

Sorry it is in AD USers and Computers

It may have something to do with your Group Policy settings that are being applied to that OU. If you have a policy that is somehow setting them to not inherite, the GP refreshes every 30 minutes, so this could be the issue. Haven't looked at using GP for something like this, but it is possible...I would review your Group Polices on that OU.

Just an idea.

HTH

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant
HND, BSc HONS, CCNA, BCS, IETF, DMTF

I cant find anything in Group Policy that mention permissions inheritance.

I'd log on a workstation as a user and run gpresult and see what policies they are getting. Then take a look through those.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back