Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inherited permissions disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSATECH

Programmer
Aug 7, 2007
US
we are attempting to restructure the public folder on our server. right now, inherited permissions on each subfolder allows everyone full control. we removed this on one subfolder, added full control to individual users. neither of the users could access the folder, so we put back the inherited permissions and removed the explicit permissions, yet no one can access this folder now.

where did we make the mistake?

Verify with the Advanced NTFS permissions that there are no DENY permissions. Also check the "Effective Permissions" for the users in question.

Also check you share permissions. A deny in share will trump NTFS. Also go to the security tab and click advanced then effective permission. From there click Select and enter the users name. From there you can see if your permissions work before implementing them. Good luck

that did not work, either time. we have this one account that is inherited from the parent with restricted privileges. this will not go away and we have no idea what it is (the old admin is no longer here). i don't want to delete it from the parent because i don't want to hose anything else, and i cannot remove it only from this folder.

New folders are acting properly, everyone can write to them. It's this one that is acting up, since we removed all of the permissions and tried to put them back, and they match all other existing folders.

clueless...

btw.. this is windows server 2003 running active directory. i've attached screen shots on this folder.

thanks

follow up...
at this point even domain admins cannot access files or copy them from this folder, although we can see a complete list in explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back