Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inherited permissions are not automatically updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

johng75

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2004
US
Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders

i have a folder setup for every department in the company, and inside each folder is a department only folder.

anything i the main folder can be read by anyone but only edited by the department, and items in the department only folder can only been seen and edited by the department.

my issue is if a file is cut and pasted out of the department only folder up a level, the permissions stay locked to department only?

but if im RDP'd to the server as domain administrator and do the same action it updates the permissions for read access to the rest of the company...

i came across the article above, and a little confused, how can i get this corrected...

if the person has permissions to move the file, i need the file permissions to change when it gets moved, and the box is checked to be allowed to change permissions in the ACL... im lost and need guidance

ive gone thru and re-set all permissions and all access is currently correct, but i still have an issue when a file gets moved from one directory to another, the permissions are not changing to reflect the new directory its in

how can i accomplish this? i cant possibly be the only one that has ran into this problem...

i guess ive found my work around, even though its not the cleanest...

'cut, paste' or 'move' leaves the origional permissions, which isnt bad if im going from the open directory to the closed one... but if i go from the closed directory to the open one, files cant be read becase they still hav ethe locked down permissions

but if i 'copy, paste, delete the origional' the permissions get updated with the new directory...

i understand what was trying to be accomplished by microsoft, and making sure a sure cant move a file and grant 'higher lever permission' on accident... but not having a way to bypass this feature, how many steps back did we take with this 'improvment'

oh well...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

--"WOW-- What a Ride!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back