Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Infoview locks SQL account when trying to run report 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oticonaus

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
AU
I have a Crystal report with 2 data sources - both MS SQL.
I have one SQL account which I use for authentication for both datasources. This account is used on lots of reports and works fine. Similarly these datasources are also used on lots of other reports without issues.
If I run the report from Crystal Reports it prompts for my password then runs fine.
If I try to run the report from Infoview, it prompts for a username and password (as set up) and then thinks for 5 seconds, and then asks for the username and password again.
At this point the SQL account gets locked!

In the Central Management Console, I have set the report to

When viewing report:
Prompt the user for database logon

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong?

Furthermore, it seems that the SQL account password is getting reset/corrupted in the process!! So once the SQL account is unlocked from SQL Server Management Studio, I can try and run another report, and it fails - the account gets locked. In order to proceed, I have to reset the password, then the second report works fine.
But the original troublesome report still locks the report and apparently corrupts the password.

Certainly seems weird!!

Hi,
What account is InfoView using to access the report and database - The InfoView process uses its own account and that must have access rights to database's location and files.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Hi Turkbear,

Can you clarify? In Infoview, I have set the report to ask for a username, and when I run it I use one SQL account.

I am using my own AD username to run Infoview.

Regards,

Derek

Have you tried setting the database user ID and password for each Data Source on the report in the CMC and then setting the report to "Use the same database logon as when the report is run"? This may or may not make a difference.

Also I think Turkbear may have been talking about the services that run Crystal on the server. If you're on BOE XI 3.x or (I think...) Crystal Server 2008 then this will be the Server Intelligence Agent. If you're on anything earlier, this will be the Crystal Cache Server, Crystal Processing Server, and Crystal Job Server. When BOE or Crystal Server is installed, it defaults to using the "Local Services" account on the server to run all of its services. This account generally does not have access to any network resources. So, the service(s) have to be stopped in the Central Configuration Manager (CCM), edited to run under a network user ID/password, and restarted. We usually use a "Service Account" id where very few people know the password and the password never expires (if it expires, you have to reconfigure all of the services every time the password is reset.)

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Hi,
Exactly right hiffy, that is what I was referring to, the BOE services.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Hi Hilfy,

Yes, I have historically set the db username and password in the CMC (under Process / Database) and set "Use the same database logon as when the report is run". This report was in fact working fine under that setup for some time before it stopped working one day. Since then I have tried all sorts of combinations, recreated data sources, etc to no avail.
I have changed the settings again back to "Use the same database logon as when the report is run". I then ran the report by clicking on it's title in Infoview - and it worked!
So now I have scheduled the same report to run in 30 mins - so I will see if that works as well... fingers crossed.

In relation to the BOE services, they are running with a network account.

The scheduled report also succeeded.
So, I am not entirely sure a) what was wrong b) what fixed it and c) why the SQL account was getting locked... but it is working and that is the main thing.
Thanks Hilfy and Turkbear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back