Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Informix Termcap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHaith

Programmer
Nov 12, 2002
US
Hi

We are migrating from SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 to Redhat Linux Enterpise Server (kernel ver. 2.4.9-E.12smp). We are having problems with the function keys and display of our 4gl forms on the Linux server. On SCO we were using termlite and TERM=ansi. Does anyone have any ideas on what terminal emulator to use, how to set up the .profiles, the termcap etc so that we do not have to change the forms?

Thank you in advance

Mike

Hi,

See the presence of termcap files at the location:
ls -l $INFORMIXDIR/etc/*cap

You may find files similar to below:
termcap
Tctermcap
Termcap
tctermcap

The default TERM set in Linux bash shell environment is xterm. You may set the environment variable in users home directory in the profile file .bash_profile pointed to any of the above listed files.

example:
export TERMCAP=$INFORMIXDIR/etc/termcap

If this does not works as intended, you may have to follow trial & error method by trying all these files one by one. If you still run out of luck, I suggest you to set a different TERM and check for all available termcap files.

example:
export TERM=vt100;
export TERMCAP=$INFORMIXDIR/etc/termcap

Regards,
Shriyan
"When you dial a wrong number, you never get a busy signal."

Mike:

Is it possible the termcap file you were using on SCO was edited. If so, you might consider moving that file to your new Linux box and try that.

Also, have you considered using terminfo instead of termcap. terminfo is a compiled database and isn't as easy to edit as termcap.

To force using terminfo on informix:

export INFORMIXTERM=terminfo

Regards,

Ed

Thank you for your repsonses

We are using the bash shell and have set the termcap to the one provided by Informix. We have tried various settings from the TERM, including xterm, vt100 and scoansi. All the terminal types perform the same (function keys dont work and form display does not work)

The termcap in SCO was never modified, to the best of my knowledge we are using the terminfo on SCO (unmodified). When using Terminfo on Linux, we have the same Informix problems as with the termcap, but when we exit the 4gl the terminal session becomes unusable ie. we cannot type at the command prompt.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? Is there more information I can provide to help you help me?

Thank you again

Mike

Mike:

You will find a huge set of termcap database files gather by people at iiug.org at:

ftp://ftp.iiug.org/pub/informix/pub/termcaps/

You may download a relevant & matching file to you environment & hardware.

By the way, please post some additional infomation on:
1. uname -a
2. onstat -V
3. ls -l $INFORMIXDIR/etc/*cap
4. echo $TERM
5. echo $TERMCAP

Regards,
Shriyan

"Knowledge without common sense is folly."

Shriyan

I have found a solution to the problem, but I am not sure how to implement it. I am using xterm and have fixed the function keys by manually editing the etc/termcap file. Our forms are drawn with Ú Ä Ã ³ type characters. By entering the command

echo -e "\033(U"

at the prompt, the A umlat character is displayed as a horizontal line, the superscript 3 is displayed as a vertical line, etc. And this is correct. Of course I do not want to type the command at the begining of every session, so I would like to know if it is possible to make a change to the Termcap in Linux to make this work, or should I add this command to the startup script for the users who will be accessing the application?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back