Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information Store Still wont Function after restore from backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonigor

MIS
Jan 19, 2003
PH
Our exch 5.5 experienced problems yesterday.

ERROR: The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated with service-specific error 4294966746.

I had encountered this error before and what i did was:

2. backed-up the d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv & pub edb's to another location
3. deleted all contents of d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata
4. moved the contents of c:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\edb.chk & other files to desktop
5. restored priv & pub edb files from previous day backup to d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata location
6. restarted the services; the error still occured
7. restarted the server; the error still persists.

what could i have done wrong?
need all the help i can get!!!!
thanks..

Igor

You may want to read this FAQ written by Alshrim to see if any of his steps can help you.

Happy to help, but you should thank Alshrim if his FAQ helped you resolve. I'm just passing on his helpful info.

i'll try to set this up and see if i can recover the mails.
i'm afraid to lose my job if i don't coz this kind of disaster already happend to me last february, a month ago i think.

and the top management are asking about the cause why did this happen again. i can't give them a credible answer coz i really don't have it.

do you have any ideas why the store gets corrupted?

You should examine your system. Many factors could play into why the store is crashing. I could not find any articles relating to the server specific error. Do you have an event ID and more info from the event viewer log? Here are some things you could check:

(1) Are you at the latest Service Pack for Exchange?
(2) Do you have enough disk space on the partition
the Exchange Databases reside? If not you may
need to move the databases to another partition
via Performance Optimizer.
(3) Make sure you have a good backup and an Exchange
aware backup

* Research Microsofts website for articles relating to Exchange Database Corruption. You definitely need to find out why this is happening if it is happening frequently.

Whenever I do the sort of restore you are talking about, the database usually restores in an "inconsistent" state. The service will never start while this is the case. You have to do a little massaging to get it back. This usually involved the use of the exchange utilities eseutil /r /is and isinteg -patch to do a soft recovery. You can find more info on these on your exchange server cd in the server\support\utils directory. As for what might cause this...my only occurances have been on systems that were not on SP4. Can't say for sure if that was the cause, but all of my SP4 machines have never had a failure.

I've noticed that corruption will not usually stop you from bringing up the database; it is the incosistent state between logfiles and info store. After you get it up, there can be residual problems which require cleanup...Good luck.

Another thing to look at with the restore is the sp and hot fix levels of the MS Server and the Exchange server. These need to be the same. The restore will work with them not at the same level but it gets very ugly from there. Im not sure from your post if you are rebuilding the whole box or what. If not you may want to get another 'offline box' and rebuild that from scratch and restore to it find what youo need to do and get it up then that buys you some time to build the server box the way it should be. just an idea i know how it can get alittle stressful and its better to get them going and then figure out the prob than have them wait for yoiu to figure it out right now. You will def have to run eseutil and isinteg as Erake has said.
good luck

thanks guys!

Zoey:

1. service pack is a: NT4 SP6a b: Exchange 5.5 SP4
2. last good IS back size was 6 Gig, storage size available
is 14 Gig
3. i have arcserve2000 with exchange options, i can backup
the store but i fail when i try to backup individual
mailboxes, even though i have brick-level capability

Erake:

1. after i restore the backup IS to d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata2. then remove the checkpoint files from dsadata & mdbdata
folders
3. do i run this utilities first (eseutil /r /is &
isinteg -patch) before starting the services?
4. i have no other box available, i'll be doing the restoration on the production unit,

Jdl508:

the streess is to much man, especially if you are only tech in site..

thanks for the input guy's;

ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back