Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information Store keeps stoping!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeyncube

Technical User
May 29, 2003
GB
Hi Guys

We are using 2 exchange 5.5 servers in our workplace. the information store keeps going down on a daily baisis. We have disk problem issues. On one of the servers the d drive was down to 33MB!.
I'm not responsible with much on the exchange side but how do I stop this service from stopping? Is there a change in registry or changing the tracking log file?

Thanks in advance

You'll need to provide more information. Check your error logs find out WHY its stopping

The error logs refer to a hotfix that needs to be applied. And in other instances disk storage levels.

I hope this helps

Hey Mickeyncube Did you fidn the answer to this? I am having the same problem. My Information store shuts down a few times a day and I cant find out what is going on. I have plenty of disk space.

There are no errors before the service shutdowns just that it is shutting down.

I do get Meesage loop errors a number of tiems a day but downt know if this is related.

If anybody can help us that would be great

100MBS...

You probably have the standard ms exchange installed and you have exceeded the 16Gig limit...this happened to me!!

you need to get your users to bring down their inbox size either by cleaning or by moving email from their inbox to an archiving folder.

after cleaning you will need to defragment the priv.db and pub.db databases to bring down the size to less than 16Gigs.

hope this helps...

ps look at article: for support on fragmenting.

I'm new at this exchange software and still have a lot to learn. I'm about to show my ignorance, but where do you find the error logs? I'm getting a message that the error log disk is full.

There is also an Exchange 5.5 Enterprise Edition that does not have the 16 GB limit. That is what I use and our priv's are normally 30 GB and more.

In response to Pmurphy's question
you simply Click on Start > Run
and type in eventvwr
click ok or press enter - you'll then be presented with 3 types of logs. click on those and the relative errors will be displayed in the right pane

Just my 2 cents but if your hurting for space you can move the pagefile.sys off that partition.

If space is the issue then take a look at Microsoft Article 240145. This will let you know what transaction logs can be deleted.

In reply to Mickeyncube, thanks for the info. I knew about the eventview, just was not sure if MSExchange had it's own error log because it kept saying it was full.

My problem is the same.I have Windows NT 4.0 SP6 it is PDC and Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 and
ScanMail V 3.51. Two or three times per week information store stops with
out reason In the Event Wiever I can see only these messages. How can I
find what are reason for stoping information store.

Event ID: 1005
Source: MSExchangeSA
Type: Error
Category: Monitoring
Description:
Unexpected error «0xc0040000 – Network problems are preventing connection
to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer. Microsoft Exchange Server
Information Store ID no:80040115-0514-000006bf» occurred

Description:
Unexpected error «0xc0040000 – The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is
not availabel. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange
Server computer is down for maintance. Microsoft Exchange Server
Information Store ID no: 8004011d-0526-000000» occured.

We hade the same problem... In fact i found this msg board by pasteing the error code into google...

Description:
Unexpected error «0xc0040000 – Network problems are preventing connection
to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer. Microsoft Exchange Server
Information Store ID no:80040115-0514-000006bf» occurred

along with other error messages.. Network access... exchange unavailable... unable to recreate offline address book...etc. etc...

It started just after we installed MSExchange Service Pack 4... (NT4 SP6)

I have downloaded the patch from Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 829418. It replaces the Store.exe and Mdbmsg.dll and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Hope this helps

Emis, as previously mentioned verify the size of your PRIV.EDB an all too common problem for exchange admins is the 16GB limit of standard edition. I have seen at least 5 colleagues fall foul to this, I have myself, but only once ! Would not allow myself to be bitten by it again.

If your unable to reduce the size of your databases then the easiest (but heavy on the wallet) solution is to upgrade to Enterprise, you will also then get the benefit of various connectors if your a multi site company.

Best of luck !

Nostferatu

"Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow A Mystery,
Today is a gift,
That's why they call it the Present"

As a noobie, where would I look to find which flavor of Exchange I'm running?

Never preface a demonstration with anything more prophetic than "Watch this

You're posting this in the 5.5 forum, therefore I'm going to conclude at least this much is true. To find out which service pack you're running, you can click on the properties of each server using Admin, and this will tell you the SP level of Exchange.

For more details of each component's version, check your application event log after a reboot - each Exchange service reports its build number as it reports successful startup.

Clicking on "help about" will tell you imediately if you are running enterprise, if it says enterprise. If not its standard edition.

Have you checked the size of your priv.edb yet ?

Nostferatu

"Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow A Mystery,
Today is a gift,
That's why they call it the Present"

I must be running Standard then as I didn't see the word enterprise anywhere in the "Help About". My priv.db is approx 1.3 GB in size. I have 77 mailboxes and 121 total recipent objwects.

Never preface a demonstration with anything more prophetic than "Watch this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back