Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information Store doesn't start! Event ID: 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexandrosG

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2007
GR
Hello everybody!
I am running an IBM server with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003.
Windows are on RAID-1 and the Exchange database files (.edb, .stm, log files, ..) are on RAID-5. The one of two disks of RAID-1 failed. I removed the failed disk, set it defunct and boot from the other. The Windows started without a problem except that Information Store Service doesn't start!! (the other services of MS Exchange start without problem).

I got this event:

Event ID: 5000
Source: MSExchangeIS
Description: Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. Failed to search for msExchUce in DS - Error 0x80004005.

and a message (when the Windows logon screen comes up) saying:
At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details.

I haven't noticed any other important message!

I searched throughout the web for a similar problem and i only found a couple of similar problems but without an answer to the problem! Most cases that give an Event 5000, have to do with problem when installling SP2 for Exchange. Although this is not my case i reinstalled SP2 for Exchange 2003 but nothing changed.

I also had a look at
but it wasn't my case!

I would appreciate very much your help! People here are without mail service 3 days now (only 1 day because of the Event 5000 problem) and they are certainly not very happy for this!!

Yes! I have seen that! Although it is still refers to the case of Exchange SP2 installation, i am thinking of applying this hotfix. What makes me have second thoughts is that i am a bit afraid of making the system unstable through a hotfix installation.

I don't know for sure but try unticking all the UCE (IMF) ticks from the SMTP VSI and clearing out anything you have in the ESM | Global Settings section and rebooting.

Since you are having the problem I would get the hotfix, particularly if the above stuff allows you to start the stores.

Properly backing the server up before and afterwards is essential, as is testing the backup - although if the store won't start there's only so much testing you can do.

Of course, if you don't get the hotfix you'll never know whether it's the solution.......

Ok! Just perfect!

I am trying to backup SystemState (or use ASR, which includes SystemState backup) and it fails returning a message:

The 'Active Directory' returned 'c80003fa' from a call to 'BackupReadFile' additional data '-'
The operation did not successfully complete.

Something is wrong with Directory Service!

* I forgot to mention that my server is a Web Server, Mail Server, and Domain Controller (not sure if it is important).

I also tried the IMF unticking but nothing happened!
I think i am going to give it a try anyway!

May i ask something else? If hotfix fails, and try an Exchange reinstallation, user's mailboxes are automatically recreated, aren't they?

The users mailboxes didn't go away. They exist as part of the Information Store.

Yes, you are right! Stupid question.

Anyway, problem solved (or overrided (hope not)) through
hotfix.

Information Store service started and mails are (in)coming and (out)going without a problem. :)) The 8012 event/problem of A.D (hope) is another story...

Thank you very much for your help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back