Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information Security Careers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamilleris

Technical User
Apr 19, 2007
US
I am interested in changing career directions. Currently I'm a GIS analyst and interested in going in the direction of Information Security. Can anyone provide some direction and /or guidance regarding training and roadmaps? Specifically, which training orgs are legit and credible. Are there intern or ground level options that allow someone to enter the field and work towards certifications/training on their own or on a companies dime? Any guidance/assitance would be greatly appreciated.

If you are interested in going to school (college/university) check out The NSA's site ( They have a list of colleges that meet the CNSS's requirements to teach Information Assurance (aka Security).

If you do not want to go that route, there are plenty of certs that you can earn: Security+ is a starter cert, CISSP (through (ISC)2), and CISA and CISM (through ISACA) are the ones off the top of my head.

Don't forget the SANS GIAC certs LadySlinger! I will say that the GIAC certs are much more technical, and require a lot more "experience" to achieve. Not trying to take anything away from the other certs, as they all are important, just some have requirements for "doing" instead of "management" as I see the Security +(okay, not so much), CISSP, and CISA/CISM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back