Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information on a Handhel Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

DataHugger

Programmer
May 26, 2004
US
I need to create a return trackig system so that we can manage mail that is returned to us.

Our solution so far is to put a "tracking" number on each piece of mail that we send out so that if it is returned to us we can load the record from the database for an update instead of typing in the address by hand all over again.

I do not know how to go about doing this...
I am looking at handheld scanners that can recognize alpha-nubmeric sequences, but after that were do I go?

Is that even the right first step?

Any body done this before?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

DaTaHuGGeR

I'd look at printing a barcode on each letter, because you have to otherwise scan and OCR the number, which can be very hit and miss as to how accurate the reading is (unless you are happy to have somebody type the number in).
There is a General Barcoding discussion forum on TT, you may want to ask in there.

The vast majority of barcode scanners hook in between the keyboard and the PC and work by inserting character strings into the keyboard buffer.

John

My employer is worried about using a barcode since a lot of mail sorter and the post office use barcode to sort bulk mailings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back