Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information from Exchange or Active Directory to SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimRochette

Technical User
May 14, 2001
US
Our firm has a Windows 2000 environment with Active Directory. Exchange and the mail store are on one server, Active Drectory (our Name server) is on on another mahcine, and we have out SQL server on a separate machine.

I need to get the employee's name and email address out of AD/Exchange and into a SQL table. We do not want a live link, but a scheduled transfer. I was goiong to use the OLE DB Provider for Exchange, but the mail store is not on the same machine. I tried DTS, but did not find the correct driver. I tried linked servers, but I cannot link a non sql server with a sql server.

I am reading thigns all voe rthe internet on how to do it, If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim Rochette
Database Administrator
S E A Consultants, Inc

Your Exchange must be Exchange2000, and SQL needs to be SQL2000. Then, you should be able to establish a linked server, which can then be used as a real-time connection, or you can setup SQLAgent job to perform a batch feed using the linked server.

If you don't have the 2000/2000 combo, you can use CDONTS, under Windows Hosting Script to perform a batch feed to SQL, schedule under SQLAgent.

I have done both approaches.
In fact, although undocumented, I have also successfully established linked servers to LDAP (SQL2000), which is just another ADSI-compliant data source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back