Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information about processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinemaxxxxx

Technical User
Mar 3, 2006
CH
Hello everybody

We are still using an old RS/6000 server environment with AIX 4.3 installed. We use this old system because of the old software product we use on it.

I have now 2 tasks I would like to realize on the server but have no idea whether this is possible on the AIX.

1. When a client starts the software (client on a windows machine) and login, on the server will be started a session for this user.
I can see these sessions under all other system processes with the command "ps -ef"

2. Each user who login to the system I would like to log in a database with the ip-adress he connects to the system.

So are my questions... Is it possible to find out what an ip-adress such a user process has?? And is it possible to start a task who writes such a ip-adress to the database, each time when such a user process is startet??

I hope that anybody can tell me whether this is possible what I would like to do.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Raphael

Thanks for your hint Khalid, but with netstat -a I see all the hostnames which are connected. And this is exactely the problem because I want to log the ip-adresses. Because when a client connects to our network over vpn he becomes an ip-adress from a completely different range and store this to the dns... when he's back in the company there is a conflict with the dns records.

Because of this I wanted to find the ip-adress of connected clients and save it to the database.

so, try NOT to translate IP addresses with

[tt]netstat -a[red]n[/red][/tt]

HTH,

p5wizard

Although never used that but i know that lsof does this!

A bit of googling might provide you with the way to do it!

Regards,
Khalid

netstat or lsof can be used to take sample on a regular intervel.

I would suggest using a wrapper script on the server end hich can log the information to log file while starting the process.

This will make sure that the information is getting captured along with the login time.

Might be a bit heavy handed but you could check out the audit, and releted, commands.

Set auditing to only log login information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back