Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Info Stores will not decrease in size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2001
US
I have an Exchange server (5.5) running on NT 4, the info. stores are on the E: partion which is 18GB, the combined (private and public) data bases have grown to 16.5GB. We've instituted mailbox limits and large users have decreased there mailbox sizes dramatically but the stores have not reduced in size. I can rectify this, without adding/extending disk space?

Thanks,

Stores dont 'shrink' on there own.

what you will need to do is compress the file stores to reclaim space. Heres the catch you will need the same free space as the store you're compressing - it may actually be double - I cant remember which.

If that is not an option on any partition you have then you can redirect to a network share using the /t to redirect the temporary file (/tx:temp.tmp)

you will need to specify where the log and check files are as well /l and /s

If a network share is unavailable then as a last ditch effort - backup one of the datastores and delete it (assuming this gives enough free space for the defrag)

A Northern Bloke

We don't "compress" we just defrag and drop off the white space. The 1221's show the size you will gain from the defrag. You are recommended to have the amount of free space equal to 110% of the DB but will be ok having slightly more free space then the ending size. So basically a 10GB store with 9GB white space needs 1-1.5 GB free to defrag and ends up at 1GB. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Dan,

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. But, one thing, as I am new to exchange, what do you mean by the "1221's"?
Thanks,
JCA

Application Event log ID that shows whitespace in the databases

Event Viewer -> Application Log

Event happens during online maint. usually around 2 am I think. Just sort by event or filter. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back