Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Info on upgrade from NT 4 to Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeconn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2002
US
We have come on an issue that we are not sure of a clear cut answer to. We have inherited a server that is running Win2K. The performance is poor, and some signs point to this system having been upgraded from Win NT 4 Server to Win2K Server. We see a c:\winnt\profile folder and don't see any c:\documents and settings folder except for one user. Are there any methods of determining if a server was upgraded from WinNT 4 to Win2K?

Thanks.

In my opinion you have diagnosed the server correctly. If it has the WINNT\profile folder that is a clear sign that it was upgraded. I'm sure you can probably find more evidence in the registry somewhere, but I've seen that quite a lot at clients and that's a tell tale sign the box was upgraded.

The scary thing is... That's usually a good sign that whoever was administering the box previously and probably who did the upgrade didn't really plan it out too well or know what they were doing. Unless of course the box was an NT 4.0 PDC and the upgrade was necessary to go to AD. That's just my opinion though. I always prefer to do a fresh OS install whenever possible and there are few situations where I would take the risk of upgrading a production box and not try to find another migration path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back