Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Info on new Exchange2000 installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecSys

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2002
US
I just thought I would post here looking for any basic info regarding Exchange server. We currently are having our mail served with an outside service and use POP3. I am being asked to look into Exchange server. I am wondering about pricing and implementing it. Also, would we then be recieving our mail directly to our servers rather than using POP boxes? Or can you do either?

We have Windows NT server (dual p3 700, 256 RAM) and about 40 workstations to service. Would we need to upgrad the server? Or just the Server OS? And how much does all this cost?

ANY info would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Cost would need to be your lcoal reseller. Can't help there as it depends on size and where you are based.

Server is more than adequate with that processor - but another 512MB RAM would definitely help. Do Win2k server, AD and Exchange 2k. Support your own email rather than POP3, so domain needs modifying to get MX delivered to external IP address of mail server.

Needs Win2k server

I'd use more ram than 256 (Current 1G with around 120 mail boxes)

Yes, you can use the exchange service instead of pop3, (MAPI4? I forgot the terms)

Thanks for the info, a couple follow up questions if i can...

We have 3 domain names with seperate web pages and email accounts for each division of our company. If we set up exchange 2000, will we need to have 3 public IP address for these 3 accounts to all recieve mail and talk to each other on our servers?

We also have one more (a fourth) email/web/domain name that we do not use anymore, but still own and is still technically active on a ISP's server. Could we move this one account to our server with exchange and then forward all mail from the other three addresses to this account? What kind of problems could that create?

Dear,
Your exchange server will act as mailer exchange, it means that your server is the one who handles the mail incomming and outgoing, there is no need for pop3 external service. but you need a backup email parking server, that is if your server is down then the mails are parked there as if there is no parking server then the mails will be bounce backed to the senders. As far as cost is concern , i have no idea.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back