Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Info on Extending Disk Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubertech

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
US
I accidently posted this in Windows 2000 Server...SO I am re-posting this here...

I have a server that was running a RAID1 with 2 18GB HD's installed. It started running low on space so I decided to upgrade the server with 2 new 36GB HD's. To do this I swapped 1 of the 18GB HD's with one of the 36GB HD's and let the RAID rebuild then did a full backup. Next I swapped out the other 18GB HD with the other 36GB HD and let the RAID rebuild and then did a full backup. All went well but when I go into Disk Management on the server it shows a 32MB FAT partition and a 16GB (C:) then a 16GB Unallocated space all on the same Basic Disk.

How can I extend that 16GB's of unallocated space? I was told that the 32MB FAT partition is for some Compaq safe boot partition that is needed on most of the Compaq DL series servers...

Any suggestions?

Assuming this is Win 2000 you'll need to do some reading around basic and dynamic disks.

As far as I remember its not possible to extend partitions/volumes that contain the system or startup files or an active paging file.

Basic discs can be converted to dynamic but not the other way.

With NTFS file structure you could create a new volume and assign a new drive letter to the unallocated space and then mount this drive to an empty folder on the original partition. To the users this would just look like more space on the original drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back