Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Info On Excel 2010 New "Spark Lines" (In Cell Charts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAceMan1

Programmer
Sep 23, 2003
US
Howdy All!

Excel 2010 came with some pretty cool incell graphics called spark lines. Googling 'excel spark lines" I've found out that they are not objects in the cells where they reside. My problem (in my mind), is that I have code that repeatedly constructs the sparks (users change data involved in the spark and run the code again). Although everything seems ok, Because its new, I"m hesitant to keep moving on, until I hear from my most trusted forum, Tek-Tips. Does anyone have any info they can share on my method or these "spark lines"?

See Ya . . .

Be sure to see FAQ219-2884 Worthy Reading! [thumbsup2]
Also FAQ181-2886 Worthy Reading! [thumbsup2]

Hi,

Neat feature. I have never used it, although I remember simulating something like this, way before 2010.

My problem (in my mind), is that I have code that repeatedly constructs the sparks (users change data involved in the spark and run the code again)

Why use code??? I suspected that, like a chart, and using the features of Excel, like Structured Tables, as new data is added, sparklines are added as well.

As Yakov Smirnoff says, and in keeping with the day, "Vad a kontry!"

I'd lean toward using sparklines along with a chart, and, depending on the busyness of the data in the chart, use selection controls.

Howdy Skip ...

Thanks for the reply. The spreadsheet is pretty much busted-up by the time I get it. Initially there are no tables and inconsistency exists in enough places. I literally have to do everything myself.

At any rate, its a good feature thats easily done.

See Ya . . .

The spreadsheet is pretty much busted-up by the time I get it.

Can you use the workbook as simply a data source? IMPORT the DATA into a fully structured & formatted workbook for your users.

Skip ... I really wish I could.

The sheets are exported in that busted fashion from some accounting software they use. Even if it were possible, I doubt I could get them to change the way things are.

Thanks again for your response.

See Ya . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back