Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Info on Cisco Vs Nortel 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colmgo

MIS
Dec 15, 2003
GB
Hi Everyone, anyone got any useful links to info on the benifits of Nortel/IP over Cisco/IP i'm specifically asking about voice of course.
Many Thanks in advance.....

the biggest thing i like about nortel is in conjunction with a nortel switch, the end users have one style of set. the 3900 series and the i3900 have almost the same features, with access to analog stations and tdm services, as far as a stand alone, without a meridian switch in the mix.. you can't find a data person that knows how to spell nortel... and you can't find a feature that makes nortel any better then cisco... we are adding a cisco call manager now, if i had made the choice i would have went with nortel. a little harder to install and set up, but intergrations seem cleaner.. the data dept made the choice so it's cisco.. i have been through the nortel voip and cisco cm schools.. but i have been a voice tech 30+ years...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Our company is researching various VoIP options right now and we're in discussions with Cisco and Nortel, as well. However, you might also want to consider Mitel. Based on the discussions we've had so far, they're probably our most likely option pending the results of our testing with them.

Cisco has a really good product but with a couple of caveats:

1. Very expensive
2. Probably requires upgrading both the routers and switches at your sites
3. Runs on Windows
4. You'll end up with a lot of servers to manage
5. Expensive to maintain

Seriously, consider Mitel. We're considering using them for trunk replacement at our existing sites. We'd leave our Option 11 PBXs in place and just use the Mitel IP PBX as a gateway. New locations would be IP to the desktop with Mitel IP phones but we would hardly have to change anything at our existing sites to make use of IP trunking and to get rid of our existing T1 tie lines.

If you want to move entirely to the Mitel IP PBX, you could also look into their CITELink product. This is a separate box that would allow you to keep your Norstar and Meridian phones. They'd get new Mitel functionality but at least you wouldn't have to replace them all initially.

John

mitel would be a good choice if you wanted to have a complete mitel network.. i would not use it to interface to another vendor switch... the post is right cisco cost more then it's worth... they do great on the market because of the cisco training in place... here the data people know cisco, the voice people know nortel...mitel didn't make the spread sheet.. Their product is well know and reliable.. 90 percent of data traffic is cisco routed, 90 per cent of voice is nortel switched... having a product history with in house techs should weigh in the formula... mitels made a great product for decades, i've installed their voice products and have nothing but praise for the product.. being a tech, i don't know or care about price, dependablity and upper level support makes a product for me

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Have also had the experience of using Nortel for IP trunking and IP phones and Cisco for 802.11 wireless. Have had trials and tribulations with both, but feel that Nortel has a distinct advantage with integration, as we are interfacing with a Meridian 81C.
The Cisco Call Manager and gateways have been reliable, but the wireless 7920 sets are more than 50% of our trouble tickets and equate to <2% of our total phones (not a good first go around for the Cisco 7920 wireless phone; hopefully they will improve with future releases).
Just my 2 cents worth!

Avaya is not bad, but I have seen Cisco, Nortel and Avaya and if I had to make a quick decision based on having a Nortel Voice Backbone and a Cisco Network Backbone, I would go with Nortel.

On smaller applications of the Voip products they are all about the same. The training is just like anything else in the voice world. You will have to research, give your recommendation, implement and help the users get used to the system, and after 6months to a year after the install you will get to go to training and get a certificate.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back