Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INF file RegisterDlls issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChainsawJoe

Programmer
Dec 5, 2000
GB
Af'noon all,

I have a signed CAB file for the company intranet which I'm referencing via the HTML OBJECT tag within a webpage for the intranet users to auto-install a dll (LaunchInIE.dll from - allows IE to securely launch applications!):
i.e. copy the dll to their system32 dir, create a couple of registry entries which the LaunchInIE.dll requires (specifies "allowed" domains from which the allow webpages to launch applications) and register the dll.

However - the inf file within the CAB file fails to register the dll correctly. It appears within IE's objects list, but only as it's class id, not as it's actual name. Viewing the properties of that object shows it indeed came from my cab file, but everything else is "unknown".

The dll is copied just fine. The registry entries as specified in the INF file occur as expected.

Here's the bit that gets me - if I right-click the INF file that's used within the cab file and "install" it, then the dll is registered just fine. Since the INF file is being run locally, and the CAB file from the web server - perhaps this is a large protion of the problem?

Pasted below is my INF file (which works when "install"ed locally (directly from the INF file), but not via the CAB file on the webserver):

Code:
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[DefaultInstall]
CopyFiles = LaunchInIE_CopyFiles
RegisterDlls = LaunchInIE_RegisterDLLS
AddReg = LaunchInIE_AddReg
[SourceDiskNames]
1 =, "Common Files",,
[SourceDiskFiles]
LaunchInIE.dll = 1
[DestinationDirs]
LaunchInIE_CopyFiles = 11
[LaunchInIE_CopyFiles]
LaunchInIE.dll
[LaunchInIE_RegisterDLLS]
11,,LaunchInIE.dll,3
[LaunchInIE_AddReg]
HKLM, "SOFTWARE\RockinFewl\LaunchinIE\Approved",url1,0,"[URL unfurl="true"]http://url1.mydomain.com/"[/URL]
HKLM, "SOFTWARE\RockinFewl\LaunchinIE\Approved",url2,0,"[URL unfurl="true"]http://url2.mydomain.com/"[/URL]
HKCR, "LaunchInIE.Launch\CLSID",,0,"{A8809076-71C2-4B90-8DD6-6BF107F4F029}"

Anything you wonderful people can do to help would be superb - including telling me if I'm in the wrong forum!!

[peace]

CJ

--------------------------------------------------
- better than toast.
Penguins - better than --------------------------------------------------

Are the failing keys the HKLM ones? HKLM is write-restricted in 2K/XP. May be the installing user/process have not the due rights.

HTH.

buho (A).

Nope - they're fine. The one that seems to fail is the HKCR one. Actually, the HKCR one isn't even necessary in the INF file as it's created when the dll is registered.

hence it would appear that the registerdll section is firnig when the INF file is installed directly, but not from the CAB file? any ideas?

--------------------------------------------------
- better than toast.
Penguins - better than --------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back