Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inexpensive web site needed...use FrontPage??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder

Technical User
Jan 10, 2001
US
I work for a small company who needs a web site, not an award winning site, more like a web presence. We're in a crunch, and don't have a lot of money. Could you tell me why I should or shouldn't use FrontPage to create the site? It seems to be able to do everything we would need, such as a "search" feature, add a database to the site, and so forth. Also, its simple to use. I am afraid that if we outsource this...the designers will use FrontPage and charge us an arm and a leg, when, all along, I could've done it...I'm an E-commerce student, learning all sorts of software. Please give me some feedback. :)I

Personally I prefer Dreamweaver over FrontPage. Dreamweaver is a lot cleaner and everything is pretty much on the stage and easy to access. I have tons of reasons for preferring Dreamweaver, however...If you want something quick and dirty and don,t have much time to allow for a learning curve...FrontPage may be the way to go. Anyone who is halfway familiar with other Microsoft Office programs can be up and running on FrontPage in a few hours or less.

FrontPage has lots of templates and wizards to get you started on the right foot also.

To sum it up...from a designers standpoint...I would say Dreamweaver is hard to beat but, from the standpoint that you appear to be coming from, I believe FrontPage is your way to go and would definitely get you up and running a little quicker.

Even if you use FrontPage for this project...I would highly recommend getting a copy of dreamweaver and start reducing that learning curve. You will never use FrontPage again.

You have to make sure your server supports FrontPage extensions if you are going to use a lot of the advanced functionality of FrontPage. the use 'bots' to do a lot of the automated tasks.

If your server supports this then I recommend you use FrontPage 2000. I use it all the time and I am quite happy with it. » » » » » »
Mike Barone
FREE and Pro CGI/Perl Scripts

FREE Scripts

If you're on a small budget FP is cheaper to purchase. Now while other say that Dreamweaver is better, FP is easier to use and get your site running.

I downloaded the trial version of Dreamweaver and am yet to understand it.

- FP User

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back