Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inetinfo.exe maxing out the cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhall251

Programmer
Dec 7, 2000
US
last night we had an incident that shut down our site. I got an email alert that the cpu was maxed out. I tried to get the site and got a "server refusing" message. I logged onto the server remotely, checked the task manager and found that inetinfo.exe was using 80% plus of the cpu steadily. I rebooted the server and the site came up normally. when I logged in again remotesly cpu usage was normal, eg pretty much 0 for infoinet.exe. Any insight into what might be going on here would be appreciated!!

Joe Halloran

The site you are running could have a memory leak, especially if it is a web based application, try to isolate the web process to see if that helps.

Thanks - this has not happened before - are you saying that an application that we are running on the server might be tying up memory? IIS is pretty much what runs on that server except for utility applications.

Joe Halloran

I've had the same problem but it is recurring. I kill the inetinfo and of course it pops back up and maxes out again. Can anyone give me any details on how to fix this? Thanks

We too are running into the same problem, but more frequently. One possibility that we have discussed is that the code writers we hired to write our ASP driven web site might have left objects open causing the leak hence inetinfo being started after some time has passed. Are any of you still having the problem? If not, what was your solution?

When you say ASP pages leaving objects open do you mean that the objects are not being released even though the session ends? Do you mean there should be a line like

myobject = nothing

to reclaim the memory?

That could be it for us - we have some fairly ragtag asp running.

Our problem has not happened for a while but as far as I know we have not fixed it.

Joe Halloran

Joe,

That is exactly it.

object.close
set object = nothing

We have found some like this and we believe it is the problem we are experiencing.

We are still looking for others. Just wish there was an easy way to find all of them.

So much code, so little time.

:)

Hi. I'm a c++ windows application guy. But that whole creating/destroying thing is a big deal especially when embedded in an application which is an object itself.

Testing, testing, testing, and then some more. I can't see developing anything to the point of letting it go and run without hawking the task manager during operation. Writing what I call 'catalyst' code is often necessary.

In fact I'm hiding behind the shrinking wall of discrete applictions.

-Blockhead-

When inetinfo maxes out this MAY NOT be a result of memory leak as suggested. It may be deliberate memory usage. I have a system that controls memory very well. However, on one page it uses an extraordinary amount of memory (more than my server has by a long shot). The task is very seldom run and then only hits this scenario when extreme parameters are used. So one could say it is a memory leak (this is common for problems that do not recover well). My task does complete and inetinfo returns to normal. Poor programming (to use that much memory) perhaps, but as yet I have not seen a way to solve my particular problem with less memory without making the code obscure. I'd rather get accurate results than save cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back