Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inetd.conf in.ftpd 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kHz

MIS
Dec 6, 2004
US
I have users who use ftp to trasnfer files from their mac workstations to a Solaris 8 server. The users home directories are automounted from a Solaris 9 server.

Their umask is set to 002, which is what they want, so each can modify the others files, if needed. The system environment umask is 022 and this seems to be the ftp default.

I have set 'ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd -u 002' in /etc/inet/inetd.conf and refreshed inetd (kill -HUP <PID>), however when the ftp takes place the files is transferred with 644 perms instead of 664. I have tried this on the Solaris 8 server and tested it on a Solaris 10 server (on which I refreshed the ftp service with svcadm) and get the same results each time.

The man page for in.ftpd show '-u <umask>'. Anyone ever try setting the ftp umask in inetd.conf?

Add the line...
Code:
UMASK=002
...to the file [tt]/etc/default/ftpd[/tt].

That should set the umask for all incoming ftp commections.

Oops!

That will set the umask for incoming connections too.

Thanks. Never even thought of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back