Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inetcpl.cpl error

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarG

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2001
US
I have a NT 4 service pack 6 machine on my network connected to the internet via a DSL modem. Recently I tried to connect to the internet and was unable to open any pages. I can ping the DNS server successfully but Internet Explorer (IE6) will not connect to any site. When I went to IE properties to check the connection settings I receive a message:
An error occured while windows was working with the Control Panel C:\Winnt\System32\inetcpl.cpl
I can open the Internet options on the control panel, but when I select 'connection' I get this error message.
I have been searching Microsoft's Knowledge Base with no luck. Any ideas?
Thanks

GuitarG ---

Did you ever get any solution to this problem?
I have the same issue on one of the computers
here.

Could be virus or spyware causing this, so you might look into that, but typically you want to replace the .cpl file(s) if they are not working right. In XP, you'll find them right in the I386 folder off the Windows installation disk. Check to see if this is the case with your NT4 CD. I386 might even be copied to your c drive already.

If that doesn't do it, try repairing IE from add/remove programs. Highlight IE, hit remove, and you'll see the option to repair. If all else fails, you might remove IE, and reinstall.

Remember, if this is a production server, you might just live with this condition. Any change might blue screen that box, or it may not reboot!

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Yes, I got it fixed. I applied the revised hot fix KB823803 from Microsoft. Apparently the initial patch was buggy and my problem occured after appliying it. The revised patch did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back