Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inetcfg

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffkelly

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
As I go through out online server, I discovered additional configuration files in the sys:\etc directory. It appears the server is loading them because remote.nlm and rspx.nlm are being called there and not from the autoexec.ncf.

As usual, a few questions:

[ul]
[li]What is the value of inetcfg and is it really necessary to use? Right now I'm relying on startup.ncf/autoexec.ncf to boot the server and everything appears stable. For the moment, I've chosen not to transfer LAN driver, protocol and remote access commands. [/li]

[li]If I intend to add a second server (backup but not SFT III) to the tree, is this necessary for NDS replication?[/li]

[li]Does it matter that I only have IPX enabled and have no interest in enabling IP?[/li]
[/ul]

I'll do some reading, but I'm running out of time to get this server built. Any help/insight is much appreciated.

inetcfg is a funny - it has some advantages and some not so. personaly i hate it but this is a legacy from a 4 hour talk on tunneling in netware 3. - unless you are doing something special then i dont see the point in using it - reinitialse is better though .

not necessary but useful - replication is the best form of backup - unless it is corrupted data that is being replicated - ie if some twat deletes pile of stuff then as a backup it's useless. but if server blows up and melt in a heap then no probs its all there and it is easier to restore from this than tape

netware 4 isnt really that ip aware. ie you have to have ipx - it cant life without it - so no
in fact in terms of security it has many pluses

when i say deletes pile of stuff - i'm not talking data - i mean directory stuff - ie users etc

Good. It keeps my server slim and trim...the way it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back