Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INETCFG ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

morrisos

MIS
Jun 16, 2003
US
Hello, We recently migrated to new hardware on our NW 5.1 file server. Migration went smoothly and things ran fine for a month or so.
Now about once per week the server drops off the network. The only thing that appears wrong is that the network connection is lost. IP connectivity is lost.

When I re-boot server it runs fine. No errors are written to any log files and all volumes stay mounted.
When I go to use INETCFG it says the netinfo.cfg file might be corrupt or tampered with. Then it asks me if I want to erase the file and reconfigure.

Any thoughts on resolving this issue?

THanks.

I would be suspicious of your network drivers. What is your server hardware made of?

Also, when you installed the new server, you may have lost some of the settings from the old server that had been tuned for your environment. Check your packet receive buffers and make sure they are adequate. Go into the LAN/WAN stats in Monitor and make sure there are no errors, especially no dropped packets.

There are numerous TIDs that tell you how to kill and recreate a corrupt INETCFG setup. just do a search on the knowledgebase for NETINFO.CFG.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.

Also, eusnre both server and network switches are forced to the same speed/duplex settings. I presume your server is also virus free?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back