Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indy SMTP Message-ID issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

3th3ridg3

Programmer
Mar 2, 2007
US
I am using the Indy SMTP and Message components in D2006. When I set:

idMsg.From.Address := "validaccount@companyname.com";

the line:

Message-Id: <200703011436208.SM00344@MySystemName>

gets inserted in the email body at the point of the first Linefeed/CarriageReturn. MySystemName is my development system's machine name. If I do not specify a from address (which I will have to when the app goes live) the line does not appear.

The line is not in the body field the instant before sending, but appears in the body at receipt time.

There are no attachements, but the spec calls for some in the future.

I am using default fields in the Indy components except as necessary to send the email. The email is not being bounced off of an Exchange Server, but directly off a SMTP host at our ISP. In any case, the email arrives, but with this annoying extra line in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

No one will believe this, but it is true! I am updating my own post.

I figured the issue had to be a mal-formed email header where there was not enough room between the Return-Path line and the body start for the indy component to auto squeeze in the Message-ID line. So I added a LineFeed/CarriageReturn to the From address assignment.

A message box (from some indy programmer!) popped up with the message "ok its reset" but the thing died!

Next I tried:

idMsg.From.Address := 'valid@companyname.com <blank spaces>';

where "<blank spaces>" was actually about 100 blank spaces.

It works!

Programming is *such* fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back