Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Individual systems vs routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlapse

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2005
US
Hi,

I was wondering whether it would be better to create individual systems for every map we require to translate our partner's data. That means even though it is the same data format (EDI X12 and same message and version), should we still create a separate system (.msd) as compared to building a router which calls a run map based on the sender id etc.

I heard that using a router can make the entire process slow. Is this true? I thought if we set the number of concurrent instances of a map, we can actually prevent the system from becoming single-threaded?

Also are there any adv vs disadv between routers method and individual map method.

I am currently using mercator version 6.7 but we are upgrading to DS 8 and would like to define a process which will be followed for all new implementation on DS8

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

If the router map calls RUN maps that take a long time to process, thsi is a problem. Good solution: Have router map send data to MQSeries messaging. You can have a separate queue for each trading partner. Have the map required watch the queue. Thus, both router and processor maps can be multi-threaded. Set watchmaxthreads and/or maxconcurrentmap instances for the maps, to make sure you have a thread available.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Any messaging system would do. If you don't have one use unique files.

Can also use separate directories for each partner.
I like messaging systems since you have more error handling capabilities.
Belt and suspenders for me. :)

BocaBurger

My only question here would be:

why would I need a router at all. I can use a communication tool like Cyclone to route data to different directories/MQ/JMS queues and have independant map systems wathcing these.

I thought having a lot fo independant systems causes a CPU overhead since we have to have numerous watches on each messaging system.

Also since we need to ensure that all documents are processed in the order they came in, we need to make sure that mercator is watching all the files in the system.

Is the CPU management better in DS 8?

Our transaction volume about 1 year back was 40 million messages a month (40000000) and it is only going up!

The Event Server does not guarantee order of processing with file watches.

Based on your last message, using Cyclone and maps watching MQ queues might be better for you. I don't know what Cyclone can do.

Only issue with MQ is if messages athe queue out of order, or if messages are added to the queue before all current messages are completed and your refresh rate is too fast.

BocaBurger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back