Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indirect Sync: Location of remote Rel Mgr and Dropbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdttek

Technical User
May 8, 2002
US
I am doing my 1st indirect synchronization. I have read everything there seems to be written about the subject (including Litwin/Getz/Gilbert Dev Handbook and Replication FAQ, JRO Replication, Jet 4.0 Replication whitepapers, threads,etc). Still cannot get indirect sync to work and suspect has to do with how Relationship Mgr is configured.

Here is the situation:
• Access 2000 / Microsoft Access Developer (with Relationship Manager included).
• Topology: Star = Hub on Local (HQ) Server with 20 remote nodes (Sales laptops).
• HQ hub maintains Backend DB on toplevel share on network (\\Server\share\Prospects.mdb).
• Each salesperson maintains BE on laptop (C:\Sales\Prospects.mdb)
• Sync connection: Remote sites use vpn connection to network (dialup and highspeed). When connected, Remote Sites are to sync with Local Hub backend (2 way indirect sync). As I understand it, this means dbs are never connected directly, so there is no chance for corruption if lost connection. Synchronizers (One Local Synchronizer on Hub and separate Remote Synchronizers on each sales laptop) collect data and perform the sync through exchange of message files between synchronizers.

Here are the steps I have taken to set up the sync:
• Have installed Relationship Manager on primary share on Local Server and on each laptop.
• Have configured Relationship Mgr for indirect Sync on each installation Point to Dropbox on: \\Server\share\.
• Have created Replica set on hub, managed by Local Synchronizer. Then copied Replica to Remote laptops. When prompted if want Remote Synchronizers to manage copy, I say “Yes”.
• Replication Manager map , when opened on Remote Sites to initiate the sync, shows correct connection between Local Synchronizer and Remote Synchronizer BUT when I initiate the sync, it fails. Message on Sync history is “cannot locate correct synchronizer address”. MsysTranspaddress table appears to show correct path to RepMgr on hub server.

QUESTIONS:
• MOD allows unlimited install of Rel Manager but does not explain how to install on remote sites. Do I just copy the files, or do I have to run Package and Deployment or some form of install?
When I Configure Relationship Manager for Indirect Sync, where do I install the DropBox on hub? (Laptops each have Access, so I am not doing Runtime).
• Laptops are not on network (except when connected to hub via VPN. When configuring Remote RepMgr, where to I path dropbox? Have been pathing it to toplevel share on hub server. Is that correct? If so, what happens to changes before conection for sync?
• Will multiple sales Reps be able to sync with the Hub at the same time?

Anyone with Indirect sync expeience: appreciate your input and insight. Thanks much in advance.

jdttek

Did you ever get this sorted out. I have just started working with Replication and have all the same questions. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back