Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indicators(Red on the phone/blue DND)not working Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtpurcell

Technical User
Mar 20, 2004
CA
In phone manager the user icons (speed dials)don't lite up with the Blue for DND, Red for on the phone, ect.It works on some machines and not others.Also some pc's it will work sometimes and not others.Ip Office Release 2.1.All users are on the same subnet.Does anyone have an idea?

Try this in Phone Manager:

Press F1 (to dial)
If you can see the user status here, it's propably caused be a firewall, blocking incomming packets. I have seen it quite some times. Often caused by XP's own firewall

Try it.

The BLF updates are sent out as a broadcast and so won't get across some network kit and firewall unless specifically allowed.

Look for traffic broadcast to 255.255.255.255 and destination port 50799.

There are issues with the new firewall in SP2 that cause this problem.

Check to see if your computer has windows xp service pack installed.

Do this by going to control panel. Do you see an icon called security center? If you do then you have SP2.

If it does, go to the control panel, open windows firewall and turn it off. this has obvious security implications if you are not on a firewall protected LAN. If you are not sure, ask your network administrator.

Noted this same symptom at a location the other day. Come to find out, some of the user's telephony tabs under Manager had "directory exclude" set. Deselected the checkbox and voila!

Something to keep in mind for those of us who utilize directory exclude for common area phones, etc.

Erik

I've had all kinds of problems with users changing settings in PM. I wish we had the ability to set policies to lock some of those settings out as required. Would be a nice enhancement, methinks.

Peter

@Morrack

We have made that feature request several times..

Our idea:
All divert, dnd, and other user configurable options in PM should have a "user allow" tickbox in Manager.

But Avaya have never responded on it.. Sadly.
It would help is others made the same request!
There's a lot of good ideas from supliers/customers that could make the IPO a super system!

!Why shouldn't users be allowed to set their own divert/DND/etc. Surely they shouldn't need to call out the maintainer every time they go on holiday and want a colleague to take their calls.

Sure Agent Mode, if really meant for call centers, should be settable in Manager and should lock out a whole set of functions but do you really want feature by feature control for every user - take the config and square the memory footprint.

The challenge would be to do it in settings on the users PC yet have that config somehow associated with and move with them. In theory if done properly it could be sold as a benefit such as moving all their BLF speed dials aswell.

In theory, if the statements at the UK Tech Forum in November were true, some people in the distributors and larger resellers have direct accesss to the IP Office Feature Requests database - to both input requests and track them - so there is an inside track that some people are maybe not advertising enough.

Get the t-shirt, buy the mug and throw the stress ball hard.

Each distributor can post feature requests through their channel manager from Avaya. Unfortunally Avaya looks at feature requests initially from a commercial point of view. The first thing they will ask you is : how much more do we sell with this feature. If then the answer is not clear they do not take the request serious and the request will be frozen "for future use".
If a distributor has a real potential lead for selling a lot of IP Offices but only if a particular feature has to be made available then these features will be made.

I'll agree with that, Product Management and Marketing too often get merged, RIMUS and TCO requirements get gently pushed to the back and eventually off the pile.

Did spend some time trying to hack Phone Manager last night - but little joy. And when you get down to it almost everything done via Phone Manager can also be done via the phone so I'm changing my opinion, any fine control feature locking would have to be done in the switch.

Currently the only solution would be sending a merge config of the settings as you want them every so often - not exactly elegant and I'm not sure how long the IP Office control unit would put up with that before rebooting.

Get the t-shirt, buy the mug and throw the stress ball hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back