Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

indexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

simian336

Programmer
Sep 16, 2009
US
I have 3rd party product running on ss2005. The product has been running slow lately so the company recommended to reindex all tables. (I am good with that so far)

But they also recommend that I detach the database delete the ldf file, reattach so that a new ldf file gets recreated.

Everything I have ever red says that the ldf file is the transaction log and has nothing to do with the indexes.

Can anyone see how this would help?

Thanks

Simi

Yeah..... Uh..... Don't do that.

The bottom line is.... a transaction log will get as big as it wants to be no matter what you do. The only time you should manually mess with the transaction log is if you insert, update, or delete a ton of data, and this is something that is not normally done.

One thing that may help performance a lot is to move the transaction log to a separate drive. Here's a good article that explains this.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Also, if your transaction log is getting full....one thing to check is what recovery mode the database is in. If it is in Full Recovery mode, you need to be doing transaction log backups.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Thanks George and Bill,

No, the transacton file was never the problem, it was the intent to reindex it but I think one of their help desk folks took it on themselves to come up with a reindexing solution with out consulting their dba's.

Thanks again

Simi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back