Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

indexing service search query problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

matejv

Programmer
Jul 30, 2003
SI
Hi,

I'm having a problem preforming a search with my indexing service. Everything works fine, the problem are only the queries - it doesnt seem to like searches that are not exact words. For example, if I search for "dog" it will result all pages that containg the word "dog", but if I search for "dog*" it will not return all pages containing dogville, doggie, etc. but instead "no results". Any ideas what could be the problem? I know this can be done, since I've seen it on issfaq.net.

Thanks, matej

Hello, what's the exact URL for "issfaq.net"? Can't seem to find it...

I can't get Index Server to work properly, either. For example, it used to be that I could find a file name with this syntax:

#filename myfile.txt

But now it just results in a page that displays "Expecting Phrase".

I was also able to exactly duplicate the same problem you are having!!

Something's broke. Seems like it happened after installing one of the many, many MS patches. I just don't know which one.

Our company is moving away from Microsoft. Just too buggy. One patch breaks something, another breaks something else.

Microsoft's OWN SEARCH does not even work properly! Try this search term from MS home page:

"expecting phrase" microsoft

Result: 'Sorry, there is no Microsoft.com web page matching your request'

Now try Google.com, same search term.

Result: msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/332.asp

I use Google now to search MS site, MS search doesn't work right.

This is just getting awful!!!

issfaq.com, i think it works all right there... do you know of another non db-based solution for a search engine I could integrate into an asp driven site?

Still can't get to issfaq.net, not sure why.

I looked around a bit on the web, but I'm not a programmer, so I did not find anything obvious (meaning=free) as a replacement for Index Server.

Oh well, I have a new 2003 server box on order, maybe IS 3.0 works right on that.

I don't think MS cares about stuff like this...they just want to sell the latest and greatest and leave the older OS behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back