Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indexing service (search function) not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnest

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
US
I reformatted and repartitioned my machine last week (have done this twice before), and I just noticed the indexing service isn't working this time. It is enabled in Services, the check boxes (in Properties) for allowing indexing service to index the local drives are checked, and I've been through the console tree routine, checking the box for "Index files with unknown extensions" in the Indexing Service console. Would appreciate any help with this, as I use the search function often.

BTW, my OS is XP Home, but I didn't see a forum for the home edition.

Any troubleshooting clues in these?

308202 - HOW TO: Create and Configure a Catalog for Indexing

Indexing Service Catalog Updates Take Several Hours or Days to Show Changes

Immediate Queries with Indexing Service

Thanks for the tips, linney. I tried all three. Unfortunately, they didn't work, but I learned some new ideas about the index service anyway. I noticed something weird during the procedure, though. When I restarted the service, under the Total Docs column, it has 17734, and under the Docs to Index, it started with 15, then went to 14, then 2, then 1, then 0, like a slo-mo countdown.

I tried to catalogue my entire D partition, but nothing at all showed up. Good tips, anyway, was worth a try.

I don't use Indexing but it sounds like some parts of it may be working from what you say. Are you running any ongoing programs in the background that are a bit heavy on CPU cycles as I wonder if the Indexing Service uses slack time to do its thing?

Not anything different than I have in the past. However, I started having minor troubles when I switched from AVG free antivirus version 6 to the newer one. I haven't noticed any differece in CPU usage, still about 7-10%. I may uninstall it and see if that matters. I'll hunt around for a while, thanks, linney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back