Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indexing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

takaoki

Programmer
Aug 28, 2008
ZA
Hi,

When choosing which tables to index (by a DATE field in this case), is it better to select tables based on NUMBER of rows - OR - based on the total SIZE of the table? In this case, I'm not indexing all the tables, just ones most affected by size.

This is more a practical question as opposed a question of index "principles".

Thank you

Firstly, indexing is a method for accessing data with as few I/O operations as possible, so wherever you plan to access data you should have an appropriate index.

In some cases, due to many underlying sql questions, a full table can be scanned because the table has so little data in it, the optimiser thinks it better just to load the whole table to memory. Alternatively the resultset will be a relatively large proportion of the table again it will return the whole data set ( i am not 100% certain on the percentages)

So in answer to your question, I would index any/all of the tables which you plan to access regardless of the amount of data

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart

Right. I know this :) That's why I was saying this is not a question of principles.

I just want to know if it's better to index based on # rows vs table size. In this case, I'm just indexing one DATETIME field.

This is a very specific thing I'm working on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back