Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indexing in PageMaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malinda

Technical User
Aug 18, 2001
US
Is there a setting for keeping the page numbers from stacking on top of each other instead of wrapping. I have my index set up with 5 columns and I have to go back and space out the page numbers. Very tedious.

Malinda, do you have Forced Justify set by any chance? When I do Indexes, the entries automatically wrap. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Perhaps I didn't make my problem clear. The page numbers that are not wrapping are the ones in the columns. Not the number on the page. (That's about as clear as mud)If I have more than a couple of page numbers for a word, they stack on top of each other.

Viol8ion, you were so much help with my previous problem, would there be any way we could compare settings. If I don't figure this out, I can see at least two more days of work straigening this out. I know it is some silly little setting that I just don't know how to set. But I'm lost.

I am not sure what you mean by stack on each other. Do you mean they scrunch up close to each other? That could be any number of things, from the font used, to a printer driver.

My index that I recently did is 6 ½ pages long, 5 columns per page, and took a bit of tweaking with font size to fit everything. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

That is about the size of this Index. Same amount of columns. My printer is set to Distiller, Font is 7 over 8.4 leading. The numbers just scrunch up on one line they won't continue on to another line.

That sounds like your forced justifed the text... or maybe a font problem. Have you tried changing the font to a different one and seeing if the text reflows properly?

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I checked again, and it is justified left. I switched from Galliard to Helvietica 7/8.5, Normal Track, I tried removing hyphenation. It only does it with the numbers, never the words. Does that tell you anything? What about Paragraph Specifications, or spacing Attributes?

Because I am doing a Surname only Index in a 335 pg book, I am using the "Change" method of tagging. Could this have anything to do with it?

You got me on this one. Maybe if you rename your preferences file and then restart Pagemaker. That will force PM to rebuild the prefs file to default, and maybe fix something that we aren't catching. If it screws anything up too bad you just delete the new prefs file and rename the old one back.

But you have me stumped, otherwise. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Well, thanks for trying, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back