Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indexing a 'dynamic' database

Status
Not open for further replies.

virgo

Programmer
Jun 21, 1999
US
I 'inherited' a Foxpro 2.6 for Win database that runs on an NT network about a year ago. It is set up peer to peer. It has paths, font size, location of variable, screen resolution, etc. hard coded into it.

Now for the problem. A user pulls some data to make a report. This ends up on the server c drive in a certain position (to work). As of yesterday, I started getting error messages that the index on these databases was corrupt and to reindex the database.

However, as the contents and size of this database change anytime a user makes a new report, I am not certain as to how to index this thing.

TIA

looks like someone did you a favor and opened the ".dbf" or ".cdx" in a program other then FPW and damaged the header.
IF ("you have any documentation on the program that includes the index structure of the files") = .t.
you are in luck. But then if you had that you would not be in here asking this question.
ELSE
You need a third party program like dSalvage or FoxFix to help you
ENDIF
P.S. you will need a copy of FPW to fix the problem. DO NOT ATTEMPT to reindex the table with VFP
David W. Grewe
Dave@internationalbid.com
ICQ VFP ActiveList #46145644

Thank you.

You are right. I am not familiar with DSalvage. I did use Foxfix to attempt to fix some indices in a test system and I couldn't open anything after I was finished. I am not certain what happened.

Also, I got some information on utilities from you about a year ago. They are working beautifully. I haven't had to do anything with them since they were installed.

Thank you for letting me know the programs work. I do not remember which ones you got from me or I told you about, but I have one called sysindex that would document and reindex all your tables after you fix this problem. David W. Grewe
Dave@internationalbid.com
ICQ VFP ActiveList #46145644

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back