Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indexes

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamthebestuk

Technical User
Jan 31, 2005
GB
I have created a Main Table with 49 records and about 15 indexes. The problem is that the contents of the table gets deleted monthly and replaced by new data (cut & paste).

My question is: By deleting and then pasting data into this table am I adversely affecting the indexing, and will my queries by slower as result?

Ta.

Power is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power

Why so many indexes? It's doubtful that with only 49 records you will see much speed difference from indexing.

Your queries shouldn't be slower since Access will rebuild the indexes when new data is added. What will be slower is the process of loading the new data because 15 indexes need to be modified for every record deleted or added. You are probably also causing some bloat in the database with all that reindexing activity.

Good point.
I meant to write I have 49 fields and 47,000 records!

I have to create this 'bloat' as indexing makes such a big difference.

Your reponse helps.

Power is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back