Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indexes for performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigKev

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2001
AU
People,
Possibly more of a SQLserver question than CF, but hope you can help anyway.

I'm from a DB2 background, and trying to learn CF based on that - probably a bad start. I have a table ( c 30000 rows ), which gets hit by many different searches. Is there a limit to the amount of indexes I can build on this. I get an occasional index error, eg "Could not find the index entry for RID '369a7e0020010e0504d'"....

Is this because of having too many indexes? I have one PK and do need the other 4 secondary....

Cheers,

K

I think you'll have better luck in an sql server forum than here as that's definitely not related to CF. I've worked around sql server and sql server admins a lot and I've never heard of any limits to the amount of indexes you can have so my guess would be that there isn't. If it lets you create the indexes then I would think it's ok. If you start getting errors like that, my first thought would be to run some diagnostics on the database to make sure you don't have corruption. I know that has occured a number of times on sql servers I've coded against.

Good luck,
GJ

Thanks for getting back to me.

I did find the SQL server forum, and posted a similar question.. Got good responses and it seems that some diagnostics are what is needed ( DBCC CHECKDB with REPAIR_REBUILD if you're intested!)

So you get a cigar!!

Cheers,

K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back