Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Index Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinnison

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
US
One of my users who has about a dozen Oracle servers would like to keep the indexes for two years instead of the one month for files and one year for media. My index file is already 23 GB. I estimate that my index could grow to at least 100 GB. What is the largest recommended size for an index? How much will this impact my backup performance? I am running Networker on a Sun V480 with two UltraSPARCIII+ with 4 GB of memory. I am currently backing up 3-5TB each night on ADIC Scalar i2k with 9 LT0-2 and 4 LTO-3 drives. I also have 26 Dedicated Storage Nodes backing up over our SAN.

Paul Gilles
NAVTEQ

Technically, there is a limitation in the EXABYTES area. And this is per client.

However, before you can not even approach this value, you will have other problems (no disk system can even store one CFI of this size today ;-)

A lot of customers have file indexes of some hundred GB of TB without problems.

A problem would only apprear if you browse and open a directory with a lot of files. Just at this point in time, NW must bring the CFI information for this directory back to your machine. Otherwise you would not be able to see the files for selection.

Hi,

we have one Index of a Fileserver with 5.2 GB

Since we berak a limit around 4 GB, we are not able to do a full restore of one Netware Volume inside this index!
We can browse and mark the files, but when we start the restore, the Networker Client for NEtware (7.2.1) kills the netware machine.

Ok, this is surely netware related, but it has in parallel to to with the index size.
So i would suggest, do often desaster recovery tests !
That was, where we found our problem.

Escalation with extreme high priority runs at EMC since a week for this.

Cheers Novelli
Novell Master CNE + CDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back