Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Index.dat in Cookies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonydd

Technical User
Jul 26, 2003
GB
What is the purpose of Index.dat in cookies? It is not deletable in Windows. Does it maintain the list of cookies so that they are still accessible, to nullify the effect of me deleting the cookies?

Tony

The Index.dat does contain a list of cookies even after they are deleted, although the cookies will not be functional. It must be deleted in DOS. If your desire is to stop the cookies from keeping track of your visits, then deleting the cookies is enough. If your desire is to delete all records of web sites visted, then the Index.dat must be deleted too.

HTH, Dana:))

Here we go...
Let the games begin...:>)

Index.dat will always get Re-created.....try it in DOS and then Standby and watch Big Bad Bill take the Meat "Hooks" to you...[bigsmile}

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

What then is the purpose of Index.dat? Who would need it if I delete the cookies? The police perhaps? or Microsoft?

Sorry!....don't know.....
You'd have to ask MrMoneyBags..
If had my say....I'd tell him to index this!

[bigsmile]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Hello all-

I thoroughly agree that M$ has questionable motives at best regarding the INDEX.DAT file (which appears in many directories...not just cookies) as well as a bunch of their other Windows components. However, I can explain its purpose. It does exactly what its name implies...provides an indexing function so that IE can more quickly & efficiently access cookies (or history or cached web pages) when called upon. It's not unlike the index in a text book...you would use it to quickly locate a specific term on a particular page, thus saving you the time of leafing through the book until you found what you wanted. M$ Office actually uses a similar indexing function through its "FindFast" component. As far as I know, there is no easy way to disable the indexing features of M$ Internet Explorer...so, if you delete the INDEX.DAT it will simply be re-created the next time you open IE.

What troubles me is the length M$ has gone to in making the file difficult to locate and even more difficult to delete. Not only is it hidden, but the entire folder in which it resides is typically flagged with the "S" attribute. Furthermore, the file contents are written in binary form so you need to take some extra steps to be able to read them as standard ASCII. It's also troubling to realize just how much of your long term Web browsing/e-mail history can be discovered by simply viewing the contents of the various INDEX.DAT files.

Anyway, I used to be a Trade/Technical IT instructor, so forgive me for kicking into "teacher mode" in this post. I hope this info was helpful, though.

Cheers.

Chris

As quoted by Microsoft:
"By design, Windows Explorer uses the Desktop.ini and Index.dat files to provide the functionality of the Temporary Internet Files shell extension.
Index.dat is the Internet Explorer cache index file.
It facilitates the browser cache mechanism that speeds access to frequently accessed Web pages across different browser processes in the same user context.
Cookies are also displayed when you view the Temporary Internet Files folder in Windows Explorer, but these files are physically stored in your Cookies folder; this is also by design."

You can empty most of the index.dat file's contents by using a utility at this site:
But note that this utility will also empty the contents of these folders: Cookies, D/L Program Files, History, Temp, and Temporary Internet Files.
This means that you will have to re-enter your ID's and passwords in order to enter secure sites.

Thanks.

I shall delete the cookies in the cookies folder that I don't want to keep and Temp internet files, then delete index.dat in DOS.

Also notice that if you delete the cookies from the cookies folder.....then the ones in TempInetFiles folder vanish also...

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back