Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Index.dat deletion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbur

Programmer
Jan 19, 2001
US
I have been trying to find a way to delete and/or edit the index.dat file in the cookies folder in windows98 without a reboot. Nothing other than a reboot with a deltree in the autoexec.bat has worked for me.
I have tried getting to ring0 using some examples that are posted as well as working with the security attributes all to no avail . SFC.exe and Explorer seem to be able to to work with the cache and protected files.
If you have any ideas they will be greatly appreciated.
Assembler:- ml 6.15
Many thanks
Wilbur...

I could give you some ideas on how to do this in assembly, but the easiest way would be..... Boot in dos, either with a boot disk or the restart in dos option... go to the folder with the index.dat you want to delete. Edit the file using the dos editor, simply remove a large portion of the data inside the index.dat file and save it. It will allow you to save the file... I can show you the code to remove the file in either assembly or C, should work in both...

later
ackka
ackka@mad.scientist.com
duke_wave.gif
Java is the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back