Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InDesign Updating links on different machines, same server 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saicu

Vendor
May 2, 2007
US

Hi, we have a group of 6 macs and all our files are on a common server. When I create a layout on a machine, with all links updated, save and close the file, if I re-open it on the same machine everything is fine but if I open it on another machine in this network, all links need to be updated..

We have another group of 8 older machines in the same network with wich we never had this problem!

Please help me fix this situation!

Thank you

I am making it on the server, I'm just saying that as we work and open files on one or another computers in the network, we're constantly asked to update the links, although the linked file didn't suffer any changes

Please advice! Thank you!

When you highlight link in links palette, does tooltip show the same file location as it's has to be?

Are the problem machines Intel Macs and is the version of Indesign CS1 or 2?

If so, you might be having problems due to the fact that IS would be running under the ppc emulation mode. If that's the case you might download a trial version of CS3 (Intel native) and see if things get better.

Barring that, you might look at both the network configuration and sharing prefs on the machines without the problem and compare them to the newer machines. You could also run permission repair in Disk Utility.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Check time and date on all the Macs in the network. It should be same on all the Macs.
jdguru

Thank you very much!

They are Intel Macs, the network and sharing settings are the same. I can't download a trial version of InDesign to check that out..

Thank you all again!

We'll upgrade to CS3 and I'll let you know how it worked

Have a great weekend!

This is definitely clock related issue. Check the server - sounds like it has some kind of internal clock glitch that can be fixed with a simple firmware upgrade.
good luck!

jdguru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back